 |
| I was a young VSO volunteer when I came in here.. |
Most Saturdays I go to the local market to stock up for the following
week. I don’t often go to one of the big city markets because they are a bit overwhelming.
They’re exciting and buzzing and loud and confusing and smelly and colourful
and mysterious in their ways. It’s a bit like going round Hampton Court Maze whilst
locked in a rugby scrum eating a curry. I’m sure past VSO volunteers have
ventured in never to re-appear and, after weeks of wandering, have ended up on
the mince counter…
.JPG) |
| Minimising packaging and display costs |
My preference is for a more sedate shopping experience. 70
dirhams (10p) pays for the trolley bus to the local market and there’s a
choikhona (tea shop) for a fortifying brew before going in; 3 somoni (40p) for
a pot of green tea. The vegetables are excellent. The tomatoes are big, juicy
and spicy. The carrots are very oddly shaped but deep orange and meaty. The
onions are golden, look like they’ve been plucked from the top of a mosque and
carry a sharp punch. I load up with a kilo of potatoes, a kilo of tomatoes,
half a kilo of onions, half a kilo of carrots and half a kilo of grapes for 15
somoni (£2). From another stall – I go from stall to stall frowning and feeling
the produce pretending I have some idea about what I am doing – I take a bunch
of bananas and a kilo of apples for 14 somoni. It’s all organic –the farmers
can’t afford chemicals – and there’s no cellophane wrapping or labelling in
sight. I know I am paying a little “foreigner premium” – they seem to have
sussed me; perhaps because I am the only one in the market wearing a panama
hat, smoking a pipe and not discussing the relative merits of water melons in
Tajiki – but what the hell, you only live once! I top off the shopping with two
rounds of oily bread at one somoni a loaf and then, the
pièce de resistance, a whole roast chicken for 20 somoni. A
morning’s entertainment and stocks for a few meals all for £7.50.
 |
| Fresh bread at the market |
The great excitement in our house today however is the
opening of a big new supermarket in the Rudaki Plaza, a couple of hundred yards
up the road. Despite my provisioning expedition I wander up in the evening.
It’s like a small Tesco. There are cold cabinets with pizzas in boxes and snack
meals; racks of fizzy drinks and crisps and a deli counter with cheese and fish
in plastic wrappers. There’s a wine and spirits section and shelves of beauty products.
I buy some chocolate, some fruit juice, some water and some chilled desserts
and, before I know it, I’ve spent more on snacks than I spent at the market.
Two
snickers bars cost the equivalent
of a kilo of potatoes plus a kilo of carrots plus half a kilo of onions.
.JPG) |
| Supermarket at Rudaki Plaza |
I don’t want to get grocery-price-obsessive. I don’t
normally spend evenings at home curled up by the fire reading Tesco till
receipts (not unless the TV is really bad). No, I mention all this because I
think it says something worrying about value systems. I’m not sure what it says,
but isn’t it strange that you can get excellent, healthy, varied, relatively
cheap food from local market traders and yet what people aspire to do is to go
to a neon lit, sparkling, sterile, impersonal basement in a tower block to buy branded,
packaged, less nutritious food from who knows where for three times the price? Why
is this? Are we programmed to be irrational? Is it the power of marketing – is
it
Mad Men run riot? Or am I over-romanticising
the market? After all, where are the health checks and eat-by dates and
cellophane wrappers? Is it convenience? I must admit, it’s not that easy to
carry around five kilos of fruit and vegetables on a trolley bus whilst
balancing a hot roast chicken on your lap – the aroma of which has people all
down the aisle glancing surreptitiously - and trying to find 70 dirhams from
your pocket. But still, it does seem our times are out of joint…….
No comments:
Post a Comment