The nature of my work in Tajikistan, as with many VSO
postings I now realise, is fluid. Often it is a matter of pitching in where you
think you can help and where help would be gratefully received.
Currently my role involves a good deal of shuttle diplomacy.
In the interests of developing tourism in the country I shuttle between
government departments, tourism businesses and donor agencies just trying to
get everyone going in the same direction. A sort of Hillary Clinton of Rudaki
Avenue, Dushanbe, bustling between meetings aiming to keep all sides happy and away
from fighting. (At least I don’t have Bill at home to worry about as well; no
wonder she had to let John Kerry take over).
My vehicle of choice for shuttling is the number 1 trolley
bus, pictured. It sure beats Hillary’s for fuel economy and carbon emissions
but hers may just have the edge for speed and comfort.
| Phil's shuttle |
![]() |
| Hillary's shuttle |
In my diplomatic role, I like to think that I am seen – like
Hillary – as a neutral and high-minded representative of a successful western
society that is reaping the benefits of centuries of honesty, hard work, fair
play and wise investment. One can but dream, but I don’t think everyone sees me
in quite this way.
The view of the west from some quarters of central Asia and
the former USSR is that we – or at least the smartest of us - have found ways
to make easy money and acquire lots of consumer goods without having to work
too hard. We’re smart, devious and know how to get others to do all the work. This
is admirable; teach us to be like you they might say….
For example, an imaginary – though not unimaginable –
exchange.
A new CEO has just been appointed at Royal Bank of Scotland.
He has agreed to take a salary of only £1 million per annum – 17% less than his
predecessor - and will not receive a bonus until 2017. Austerity bites, ouch!! But
this is still quite an attractive package for Tajiks, where around 40% of the
population survive on $1.25 per day or less (i.e. it would take one of them at
least 3,000 years to earn the new RBS CEO’s salary for one year, a long working
life…). As a westerner – and a Scot to boot – many of my work partners feel
that I might know some of the secrets about the route to such success.
“What does he do?”
“Well, his bank takes money from people who want to lend and
gives it to people who want to borrow. They keep some of the money passing
through their hands for doing this”.
“Very good. So he shifts money from one side of his desk to
the other and keeps some of it on the way. I love this capitalism; it sounds
easier than growing water melons or driving donkeys.”
“Well you could put it that way. But it’s a lot more complex
than you make it sound.”
“No, fine. I just want simple capitalism. I can do this. I
just pass paper from one side of my desk to the other and catch money falling
out in the middle. Wonderful. What paper do we need to pass for tourism? Do
they need to come here or can we just send papers to say they’ve been?”
I exaggerate of course but I do sometimes wonder if we are really
in the best position to set an example of a good, liberal market economy that
produces the best for its citizens.
| Anyone looking for a new CEO for a failed bank? |

No comments:
Post a Comment